Nothing is more festive than a home decked out for the holidays, but those twinkling lights can pose a health hazard to your family. Many Christmas lights have been in storage for years or even decades, and over time they may have sustained damage. A mouse nibbling at the cord or even just regular wear and tear can cause the wires to fray, creating sparks. Coupled with dry evergreen boughs or window curtains, these sparks can quickly ignite into a full-blown fire.
Here are a few tips for reducing your risk of electrical fire:
— Check every strand of lights for signs of wear before plugging them in.
— Make sure to plug in lights and check to be sure all of them work before you start decorating. Replace any burnt-out lights to prevent a short-circuit.
— Only use lights approved for outdoor use outside.
— Avoid using lights with too high of a wattage for your tree. Outdoor lights and big bulbs might burn too hot for your tree.
— Turn off your lights when you’re not home or when you to to bed.
— Be sure that your Christmas tree gets plenty of water to prevent it from drying out and becoming more flammable.
— Keep cords away from curious pets who might chew through them and create a hazard.
Even among the most careful homeowners, accidents can happen. If you’ve had a fire, a professional restoration service can help you deal with the damage. Call a restoration service right away to remove smoke damage and help you get back on track for the holidays.