When it is a winter wonderland outside, you need to work extra hard to protect your carpets inside. Carpets are especially susceptible to damage from the snow and other winter elements. Therefore, to keep your carpets clean during the snowy season, consider the four following tips.
1. Update your welcome mat. Most people think a welcome mat is entirely decorative. However, these mats are essential during the winter. By wiping your feet thoroughly, you can get rid of most of the snow, slush, sand and salt.
2. Take off your shoes. Even after wiping your feet, your shoes will track residue across the floor. It can be helpful to always take your shoes off and leave them on a mat by the door in order to minimize any potential damage to your carpets this winter.
3. Spot clean. When you notice a stain or spot on your carpet, attend to it immediately. Fortunately, most snow-related stains come out easily if treated quickly, but if they are left unattended, the overall impact can be hard to correct.
4. Vacuum. Winter weather also leaves salt and sand in your carpet. This can not only be unsanitary, but it can lead to carpet degradation over time. Therefore, try to vacuum at least once a week.
5. Hire a professional cleaner. Even if you follow all these tips, the chances are that your carpet still shows signs of wear after the winter. In order to restore your carpet, be sure to consider a professional cleaner. By hiring a professional, it is possible to get at the dirt and grime that normal household cleaners simply cannot touch, thereby restoring your carpet to its best state.