A holiday party should be a time of joy with family and friends. However, guests can leave even the most sparklingly clean home filthy. Use the following tips to host a clean Christmas gathering.
Dealing With Wrapping Paper
- Empty trash cans and put in new liners before guests arrive.
- Designate one room for gift opening, and keep the empty trash can or an empty bag there.
- Use reusable gift or shopping bags, and perhaps encourage your guests to do the same.
- Consider collecting gift wrap, bows and other items to reuse in future years.
- Encourage guests to save their gifts for when they’re at home, and don’t open yours until guests leave.
Keeping Snow and Dirt Off Carpets
- Keep a heavy-fiber welcome mat on the front porch.
- Place an oversized washable carpet inside the door for shoe storage.
- For guests with wet shoes or boots covered with snow and salt, use a deep rubber mat to collect their footwear.
- If carpets do get contaminated, pretreat the stain, and use a carpet cleaner when the party is over.
- Because stains are inevitable in the winter, plan for a professional cleaning to help extend your carpet’s life.
Keeping Fancy Tableware and Linens Stain Free
- Serve foods and drinks that are less likely to drip, spill or stain.
- Ensure coasters are readily available.
- Clean up any spills, and treat stains immediately to prevent them from setting.
- After the party, soak linens overnight.
Keeping these tips in mind will help you maintain a clean house so that you can focus on enjoying your guests rather than worrying about post-party cleanup.