The holidays are a wonderful time anticipated throughout the year. Plenty of homes are decked out in lights, candles, and lovely smelling Christmas trees. It’s a pleasant time and season to gather with friends and family. What isn’t welcome but somehow shows up anyway? The answer is fire damage. Wintertime is the peak for fire season. From overloaded breakers to dry trees, educating yourself on the most common risk factors is essential for protecting everyone during the holidays. Here are some ways to prevent fire damage in your home this holiday season. If you do experience any fire damage, call Hydro Clean Certified Restoration for specialized assistance!
Be Cautious with Greens and Lights
While it’s rare for Christmas trees to catch on fire, they are destructive when they do – which can lead to severe fire damage. In less than half an hour, a Christmas tree fire can engulf an entire room in flames. Here’s a few tips for dealing with your tree:
- Display them at a safe distance from any open flames, such as fireplaces, stoves or candles
- Make sure they aren’t dried out before setting them up – as this makes them susceptible to fire damage.
- Keep your tree watered. A spray bottle makes this easy.
Be Careful with Holiday Lights
Lights are essential for decking the halls. However, when misused, they can create a fire hazard. Here’s some safety precautions to keep in mind:
- Dispose of lights when cords start to dray or look worn out
- Check the instructions to see how many strands can be safely hooked up
- Use extension cords sparingly to avoid fire damage
- Turn off all the lights before leaving your house or going to sleep
Be Smart and Safe Burning Candles
Candles are also a popular part of the holiday season. Fire safety experts agree that this time of year is when house fires caused by candles spikes. That doesn’t mean you don’t have to set any up, but exercise caution. Here’s how:
- Do not place candles near flammable household items such as towels, magazines, curtains, or other decorations. Experts say you need at least one to two feet of clearance to avoid any possible fire damage.
- Burn candles only when you’re home and awake.
If your home does have some fire damage after the holidays, call Hydro Clean Certified Restoration to help restore any of your belongings. Our certified and qualified technicians will do their best to help ensure your possessions are restored to their original condition!
Get Cleaning with Hydro Clean Certified Restoration!
If you need your carpets, furniture, drapery, tile & grout, dryer vents and air ducts cleaned, look no further than Hydro Clean Certified Restoration. We’re located in Arbutus, but we’re happy to serve customers in Howard County, Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Prince George’s County, Montgomery County, Harford County, and Carroll County—even Cecil and Frederick counties. We also handle emergency fire, smoke, and water damage 24 hours/7 days weekly. Your upholstery, air ducts, and drapery are in good hands with us. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn! You can also call us if you have any questions at 410-737-0088.
“It’s not clean unless it’s Hydro Clean.”